Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Joy of Wine

I recently talked my wife into starting a wine blog, which I've linked to.

Danielle developed a love of wine when she spent a year in Belgium during high school as an exchange student. One of her host families had a real wine cellar and her host dad introduced her to a real appreciation for wine which she has cultivated since.

I came into this story much later when we met at the beginning of my junior year of college. Even before we started dated she began introducing me to wine. At the time, I still though Rolling Rock was good beer so she had her work cut out for her. She started by introducing me to sweeter white wines, like Rieslings. Gradually, she got me into Chardonnes and other whites.

It was when we made the jump to reds that she had me hooked. Merlots, Zinfandels, Syrah, I love them all. Now, a decade after first meeting Danielle, I count Port amongst my favorite drinks. I have a favorite wine, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, a mixture of Grenache, Cinsault, Mourvedre, Muscardine, Syrah, Terret Noir and Vaccarese grades growth in the southern Rhone region of France. Opening a new bottle of wine is exciting for me, something I never would have guessed 10 years age.

Sadly, I don't have the palette to describe in flowery terms what I like about each variety. To be honest, the variety seems to have very little to do with whether or not I like the wine. For this reason, I probably wont post much on her site. I guess I'm not classy enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home