Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I'm hopelessly addicted and it's to Civ 4

By day, I do my job to the best of my ability, help my wife with the children and do tasks about the house. By night I play Civ 4. Despite having twin infants who steal enough of my sleep and a demanding job, I find myself going to bed at 1 AM or later night after night because of Civ. It’s as if I need someone to just walk in and turn off the computer because I lack the will power to do so myself.

I’ve enjoyed the CIV series since my college roommate introduced me to Civ 1 in my junior year. He gave me his copy because my girlfriend had a computer and we didn’t. Suddenly I found myself visiting her not only to complete term papers and have sex but also to play Civ. She got hooked too. We’d play games together and be all cute, naming our people the sex fiends amongst other things.

In my senior year, I got Civ 2 and loaded it on the laptop I shared with my older brother. He was in law school at the time and we both ended up playing Civ 2 in class from time to time. Somehow we both managed to graduate from our respective schools.

More recently, I’ve owned and played Call to Power 2 and Civ 3 but sadly neither of these really had the same impact as Civ1 and 2. Both featured an increadible amount of late game tedium. I never finished a game of CtP 2 and ended up selling my copy. Civ 3 was an improvement but still the late game was very tough. It was like a job finishing a game. Naturally I gravitated towards other kinds of games during this time.

Civ 4 returns the franchise to its super addictive routes. It’s not just me either. My wife, the same girl who played Civ 1 as Danny of the Sex Fiends, is sucked in too. Why? Because, as in Civ 1 and Civ 2 there is the feeling that something important is about to happen or happening and that if I quit now I’ll somehow miss something. I’m always a couple of turns away from x, and when I get to x I find that I’m only a couple of turns away from y. This goes on and on until it’s one in the morning and one of my sons is crying in his crib for a late night snack and I’m looking at the clock wondering what the hell happened. In other words, great game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home